Having a glowing and radiant skin is the desire of many people, and for that they have a complete skincare routine, but most people don't know that the first step to have a perfect skin is balance the skin tone.
The skin tone is determined by the amount of melanin (pigment that determines the skin color) that a person has in his/her skin; if a person has greater amount of melanin his/her skin will be darker. When a person goes out in the sun, his/her skin produces more melanin (it also protects the skin from the sun's radiation). Even age spots are just melanin accumulation.
Nowadays there are numerous types of skin brightening products on the market that offer give to the person a smoother and brighter skin. Some of them are an all-over lotion while others are spot treatments. The price range of these products can also vary greatly, and they go from over-the-counter drugstore applications to prescription-only treatments. So before consider choosing one of them is recommended that the patient visits a plastic surgeon or dermatologist because they know the best skin brightening creams for each type of skin.
Good skin brightening products have the ability to make the skin on face, neck, and hands lighter, thus help to remove the appearance of some skin problems. Likewise, they are used to reduce the appearance of age spots and to give the skin a more youthful and dewy appearance.
However, in patients with extensive sun damage, blemishes, or scars, a cream may not be the best solution. In those cases may be required use more specific methods like laser-based skin lightening.
How Do Skin Brightening Creams Work?
In general terms, a skin brightening cream works by inhibiting the production of melanin in skin cells, so using these creams, the amount of melanin will become reduced, and the skin will look lighter. This occurs in the same way that a tan eventually fades. However, each product has its own mechanism of action that will be explained later.
So, skin brightening creams don’t achieve their results by adding nourishing ingredients, if not, by inhibiting natural pigment production, which can have more serious side effects. Also, these treatments are not a cure-all and the results take time. In most instances, a person will need to use the product for several weeks before obtaining results.
What should the patient do before applying a skin brightener?
When a person will use a skin brightener, the patient should talk with his/her doctor about the risks in each specific situation. The doctor will select the most appropriate cream for each patient, with the right concentration of all the components and without toxins.
The patient can talk to his/her doctor about the efficacy and safety of the different creams, they can work together to find the best skin brightening cream, and to achieve the patient’s desired outcomes.
In his center, Dr. Amjadi offers the best skin brightening products, like:
- La Roche: This mark offers different products for skincare, between them, have products to even out the skin tone, like Mela-D Pigment Control, Pigmentclar eyes, and Pigmentclar serum.
Mela-D Pigment control is a concentrated serum recommended to improve visible dark spots, the evening skin tone and enhancing the skin clarity. It contains Glycolic Acid and Lipo-Hydroxy Acid which help visibly to reduce the appearance of dark spots. It is a product tested on sensitive skin, non-allergic, and even dermatologist tested. This product should be applied at night on face, neck and decollete alone or under moisturizer. When it is used during the day, the patient should be sure to use sunscreen too.
Meanwhile, Pigmentclar eyes corrector is recommended to both blue and brown dark circles for visibly brighter eyes. It helps reduce the appearance of dark circles and brightens the eye area, so, it can be used as a daily eye care product to visibly reduce dark circles. This product contains PhE-resorcinol, caffeine, and light reflective pigments. It is a dermatologist tested product, fragrance and paraben free, and it is suitable for sensitive skin. This product is tested on sensitive skin, non-allergic, and even dermatologist tested.
- SkinCeuticals: This mark has a lot of products to improve the skin health. Between them, they have the SkinCeuticals skin care professional products, which are available exclusively through authorized SkinCeuticals skin care professionals. With these products, the doctor can provide solutions to enhance and maintain a healthy and beauty skin. This mark offers long-lasting results through the combination of professional treatments and advanced home care.
Its corrective products combine anti-aging, clarifying, moisturizing and exfoliating ingredients to help rehabilitate the look of skin. The active ingredients and advanced technologies improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles, changes in skin color, acne, among others.
One of them is the advanced pigment corrector, this product is clinically proven and tested on all ethnicities, and it is used to help improve the appearance of stubborn discoloration, often due to chronic UV exposure, natural aging, and in some cases hormonal changes. This potent treatment, in addition to improving the skin’s luminosity, enhances the resistance of the new pigment. It is ideal for all skin types, is paraben-free and non-comedogenic.
- Peptide-9: This product contains 9 active peptides designed to achieve maximum effectiveness and results that the patient can see, regardless of the personal skin chemistry. Each ingredient of Peptide-9 has a small molecular size to be able to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin, where is most effective. This product is applied over the clean face skin, crow's feet, and wrinkles. It is recommended, for best results, to be used twice daily.
This product contains: 3 Signal peptides to reduce the appearance of wrinkles (Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide & Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7), 3 Neuro peptides to visibly reduce frown lines (Pentapeptide-18, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Acetyl Octapeptide-3), 1 Firming peptide to make skin look tighter (Hexapeptide-11), 1 Whitening peptide to diminish the look of age spots (Nonapeptide-1), and 1 RCS peptide to reduce the look of damaged skin (Tripeptide-1, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein & Hydrolyzed Soy Protein).
- Chemical Peels: It is a treatment which has as purpose improve the skin's appearance. During this treatment, a chemical solution is applied to the skin of the face, neck or hands. The new skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. So, this treatment is used to reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth, treat wrinkles (due to sun damage and aging), treat certain types of acne, reduce mild scars, reduce age spots, and dark patches caused by hormonal changes during pregnancy or taking birth control pills, and improve the look and texture of skin.
There are different types of chemical peels, and each one of them should be selected according to the type of skin and the desired results for each case. There are also a lot of marks that produce chemical peels, because of this, the procedure always should be performed by an expert, like a plastic surgeon. He can choose the best chemical peel according to the type of skin.
- Senté: This is a mark that brings biotechnology experience and the rigor of drug development to the skincare market. Its products are proven to be safe and effective for those patients who seek a healthy looking skin.
The most of its products are destined to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve the skin tone and color (removing the changes of color) for a youthful radiance, and provides immediate and profound hydration. The most popular are Dermal Repair Cream, and Daily Repair Complex.
The main ingredients are heparan sulfate (provides structure to the skin, produces collagen and provides profound hydration), Argan Oil (used as an emollient and strong antioxidant for skin hydration), Acetyl Glucosamine, Camellia Leaf -Green Tea Extract (it contains powerful antioxidants), Vitamin A & E (antioxidant that protect the skin's barrier function and prevent free radical damage), and Sodium Hyaluronate - A (ingredient identical to hyaluronic acid that improves the skin hydration).
What are the risks of Skin Brightening?
Before choosing a skin brightener, the patient should know that it is not advisable to use the same cream all over the entire body. For best results, the experts recommend that this type of products be applied only on small areas, like the face, or to eliminate specific age spots.
However, some of the risks associated with skin brightening creams include:
- Its extended use may cause premature skin aging.
- Using it in long-term may increase the risk of skin cancer; this is because a lower amount of melanin can’t stop the negative effects from UV radiation.
- The patient may be allergic to the active ingredients or have skin inflammation after it is applied.
All this side effects can be avoided when the product is recommended or applied by an expert, like a plastic surgeon. He can indicate the time of use and the ideal product for each type of skin (especially in allergic patients).
Dr. Amjadi MD, DDS, FACS
Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons
915 Gessner Rd #870
Houston, TX 77024